The 2023 BYD Atto 3 is the first cab off the rank for the Chinese battery and carmaker giant’s relaunch and expansion in the Australian market.
Deliveries of the BYD Atto 3 have already commenced in Australia, but all of them thus far have been the flagship Extended Range variant which has a larger battery pack and costs $47,381 before on-road costs.
The entry-level Atto 3 Standard Range is due to arrive in Australia late in 2022 or early in 2023.
While the BYD Atto 3 is largely well-equipped, there are features such as Apple CarPlay and Android Auto set to be added in an over-the-air (OTA) update during the fourth quarter of 2022. A recent update brought native navigation and conversational voice prompts.
BYD has teamed up with EVDirect, which acts as its importer and distributor in Australia. As well as its own online showroom and physical Experience Centres, the distributor has teamed up with Eagers for a nationwide network of dealerships.
The company is widely viewed as one of the most likely rivals to Tesla and has big plans for the local market, with two more EV models on the way using in-house batteries and a bespoke platform.
- 2023 BYD Atto 3 Standard Range: $44,381
- 2023 BYD Atto 3 Extended Range: $47,381
All prices are before on-road costs
Both variants of the 2023 BYD Atto 3 are powered by a single electric motor producing 150kW of power and 310Nm, with drive sent through the front wheels.
The entry-level 2023 BYD Atto 3 Standard Range is fitted with a 49.92kWh lithium iron phosphate (LFP) Blade battery and is claimed to have a range of 345km according to WLTP testing.
The flagship Atto 3 Extended Range on the other hand is fitted with a larger 60.48kWh LFP Blade battery and is claimed to have 420km of range according to WLTP testing.
Both Atto 3 models have a maximum AC charging speed of 7kW, with the Atto 3 Standard Range having a maximum DC charging speed of 70kW, and the Extended Range having a slightly higher maximum DC charging speed of 80kW.
Vehicle-to-load (V2L) comes as standard.
The 2023 BYD Atto 3 measures in at 4455mm long, 1875mm wide, and 1615mm tall, with a 2720mm wheelbase.
Boot space with the rear seats upright is 440L, which can be expanded to 1340L with them folded. The rear seats fold in a 60:40 configuration.
The Atto 3 Standard Range has a 1680kg kerb weight, whereas the Extended Range with its larger battery is slightly heavier at 1750kg.
The Atto 3 is rated to tow 750kg braked and 700kg unbraked, and has a 50kg rating for roof racks. BYD says it’s currently finalising design and pricing for Tow Pack and Rack options, set to be available to customers from October 2022.
The 2023 BYD Atto 3 is covered by a six-year, unlimited-kilometre warranty, with the following covered by different warranty periods.
- Electric motor, high-voltage assembly, motor controller: eight years or 150,000km
- Lights, tyre pressure monitoring module, suspension, ball joints: four years or 100,000km
- 12V battery: one year or 12,000km
The infotainment system is covered under a three-year, 60,000km warranty, along with components like the shock absorbers, wheel bearings, USB charging port connectors, and AC/DC charging port assembly.
Buyers get 12 months of 24/7 roadside assistance.
Servicing can be performed at a BYD Service and Repair centre, or at certain independent mycar sites.
Maintenance is required every 12 months or 20,000km, whichever comes first. There’s a free check-up at three months or 5000km, whichever comes first.
In response to backlash to the original service pricing, BYD recently introduced a cheaper servicing option for customers who don’t rack up as much mileage.
If you’re an owner that drives less, you can pay fixed prices of $189 for every 12 month/20,000km up to the five-year, 60,000km service.
For owners that do roughly 20,000km per year, revised service pricing is as follows:
- 12 months/20,000km: $189
- 24 months/40,000km: $370
- 36 months/60,000km: $189
- 48 months/80,000km: $447
- 60 months/100,000km: $189
- 72 months/120,000km: $370
- 84 months/140,000km: $189
- 96 months/160,000km: $447
This works out to an average of $298.75 per service, or $2390 in total over eight years.
The BYD Atto 3 hasn’t received an offical ANCAP or Euro NCAP crash test rating as of yet, although a result is on track to be announced on October 13. This story will be updated when it’s released.
Luke Todd, managing director of BYD distributor EVDirect, told CarExpert the Atto 3 has been designed to earn a five-star ANCAP rating.
Mr Todd said EVDirect has been working “very deeply with NCAP, also the highly advanced facilities throughout China that work with NCAP out of Europe, and then we’ve also been working with the local ANCAP team”.
“We’ve been very clear all along that this car has been built to obtain a five-star ANCAP rating in Australia, and we’re confident that we’re on track for that announcement,” Mr Todd told CarExpert.
All 2023 BYD Atto 3 models have the following safety features:
- Front, side, side curtain, and far-side airbags
- Autonomous emergency braking (AEB)
- Front collision warning
- Rear collision warning
- Blind-spot monitoring
- Lane departure warning
- Lane-keep assist
- Rear cross-traffic assist
- Adaptive cruise control with stop/go
- Surround-view camera
- Drive recorder
- Front and rear parking sensors
- Tyre pressure monitoring system
- Front and rear seat belt reminder
- ISOFIX child restraint anchorage points (outer rear seats)
The 2023 BYD Atto 3 comes with the following standard equipment:
- 18-inch alloy wheels
- Roof rails
- Panoramic sunroof with electric slide and anti-trap function
- Power tailgate
- Heated and power-folding side mirrors
- LED headlights
- Auto high-beam
- LED daytime running lights
- LED rear lights
- 12.8-inch rotating touchscreen infotainment system
- 5.0-inch digital instrument cluster
- DAB+ digital radio
- Apple CarPlay and Android Auto (Coming in Q4 2022)
- Voice assistant (Coming in Q4 2022)
- Factory navigation
- Bluetooth connectivity
- Eight-speaker Dirac HD sound system
- USB-A port and USB-C port in centre console
- USB-A port and USB-C port in rear
- Wireless phone charger
- 12V socket
- Keyless entry and start
- Single-zone air-conditioning
- Heat pump
- PM2.5 air filter
- One-touch up-and-down windows with anti-pinch function
- Multi-colour gradient ambient lighting
- LED front reading light
- LED rear side reading light
- Luggage compartment light
- Artificial leather upholstery
- Six-way power-adjustable driver’s seat
- Four-way power-adjustable front passenger seat
- Heated front seats
- Domestic 3-pin plug AC charger
- Tyre repair kit
The 2023 BYD Atto 3 is available in the following exterior paint colours:
- Parkour Red (Extended Range only)
- Surf Blue
- Boulder Grey
- Ski White
All paint colours besides the Ski White cost an additional $700.
There’s only one interior option available, which is a two-tone finish called Eclipse Blue + Hazy Grey.
MORE: Everything BYD Atto 3