October 15, 2022 Global Handwashing Day
Washing hands is something we all do every day. However, on 15th October let’s give the act some extra thought as we celebrate Global handwashing day. Let’s learn more about the event in this post!
Handwashing is a regular act for everyone that is practiced every day. However, have you ever heard of a day devoted especially for cleanliness and hygiene. Yes! Global Handwashing Day is a special day celebrated on October 15 every year that is dedicated to hand hygiene.
Hand washing was such a normal thing that nobody even gave any thought until the pandemic of covid-19 hit. The impact that covid-19 had, it changed the entire scope of cleanliness and hygiene. Washing hands became a dedicated ritual along with several other minute yet significant cleanliness hacks to control the spread of the disease.
And not just it prevented the spread of the virus, it also taught people the importance and the relation between health and hygiene, which was not given a serious thought before. Hence, it can be said that the global pandemic indeed gave a new meaning to handwashing.
Despite the existence of the global handwashing day since the year 2008, the real significance of the day and its relevance was realized since the covid-19 days.
Why and When is Global Handwashing Day Celebrated?
The Global Handwashing Day is celebrated on October 15 every year to create awareness and to make people know that handwashing can help in curbing the spread of diseases. Thus, it encourages more and more people to wash their hands within society.
Theme and slogan of Global Handwashing Day
The theme for 2022 global handwashing day is “health care quality and safety climate or culture”, while its slogan is “Unite for safety: clean your hands”.
History of Global Handwashing Day
Global Handwashing Partnership initiated the concept of Global Handwashing Day at World Water Week in Stockholm, Sweden. It was introduced to design and practice creative ways in which the organizers could encourage people to apply hygiene in their lives by means of washing hands with soap, particularly during critical times.
In 2008, the first world handwashing day was celebrated where over 120 million school children in across 70 countries globally celebrated the event by washing hands with soap. Since that time, it was practiced and used as a way to celebrate cleanliness and spread awareness. The day presents a good message to the public about the importance and value of cleanliness. It states that the simple act of hand washing can make a lot of difference in saving lives.
Over the years, the impact and significance of global Handwashing Day has grown manifold and the concept is endorsed and promoted by many public and private associations and organizations.
Aim of Global Handwashing Day
The Global Handwashing Day was initiated with the aim to create:
- Culture of handwashing using soap in all societies
- Create awareness on the significance of washing hands across countries
- Inform people about the benefits of washing hands with soap
How to celebrate the Event – Global Handwashing Day
Here are the things you can do:
- You can post information about the event on social media to raise awareness about its significance
- You can get involved to promote the event across your community by means of posters and fliers etc. near public places like parks and schools
- You can practice hand washing with soap as a habit particularly before eating meals, before preparing food and after using the washroom
Interesting facts about Global Handwashing Day
- Hand hygiene saves lives by reducing the mortality rate caused by different diseases including respiratory , diarrheal and other diseases
- India played a significant role in the first Global Handwashing Day celebrated in 2008. The event was joined by Sachin Tendulkar, the Cricket legend of the country and his teammates along with over 100 million children to promote it for health and hygiene awareness
- You would be surprised to know that only 60% of population across globe has access to the essential facility of handwashing
- Many people lack the facility of handwashing due to the unavailability of soap and water, especially in countries like Ethiopia
Hand washing should be a habit for each and every one of us. We should implement hand washing as a ritual before meals in the family. Hand washing as an act should be promoted across homes, workplaces, educational institutions, health centers and so on.
The global handwashing day works as a reminder to remind people to always wash hands, especially during times such as the recent pandemic. This is an act that saves lives and it requires only 2 basic things – soap and water.
Further, to stay healthy and to stay away from diseases, buying health insurance plans is also very important. With the best health insurance in India, you not only keep yourself and your family safe from diseases, you can also get financial security.
Found this post informational? Browse PayBima Blogs to read interesting posts related to Health Insurance, Car Insurance, Bike Insurance, Term Life Insurance and Investment section. You can visit PayBima to Buy Insurance Online.